How to Apply
TOE strategically invests in projects that we know will make a difference. Our grants application process is helpful, informed and effective.
The TOE grant panel meets four times a year to consider funding applications, but our staff are always available to advise potential applicants.
You can contact us on 01865 407003 to discuss your project before submitting an application.
The below steps outline the standard grant applications process. More detailed guidance and application forms are available for download at the bottom of the page.
Ensure your project meets the funding criteria
Your project should fall within at least one of our three funding areas:
- Promote and improve the biodiversity of Oxfordshire’s wildlife habitats
- Increase access to the local countryside and green spaces
- Support the low carbon agenda through encouraging energy efficiency and the sustainable use of renewable resources
Other key criteria:
- Your organisation must be non-profit making and have a formal constitution
- Where contractors are being used, please obtain at least two quotes for the work
- TOE cannot accept applications from projects which have already started
TOE welcomes discussions prior to applications being submitted to help applicants tailor their application appropriately and ensure projects meet the funding criteria.
Submit an application
- Complete all sections of the application form
- If you require help in completing the application form please contact us
- Provide photographs and site plans which help to illustrate the need for your project
- Submit your application by email or post
We make a decision
TOE has robust processes in place to scrutinise applications, to ensuring that they offer good value for money and deliver what they set out to do.
- Application arrives
- Applicant contacted for additional information if required
- Local expert visits the project and provides comments to assist in the assessment of the project
- Each application is scrutinised by the Grant Panel and a recommendation is made to the Board of Trustees
- Recommendations considered and decisions ratified by the TOE2 Board
- Applicant informed of decision
It normally takes about 3 months between the grant application being submitted and the applicant being informed of the decision.
What happens next
If your application is successful, you will be sent an email notification which may communicate some specific conditions attached to the funding. You will then be sent a formal funding offer. Please do not start any work on the project until you have received the formal funding offer.
The applicant must sign and return the agreement form and a claim must be received within 1 year of the date of the signed agreement letter.
TOE will pay, once work has been done and on receipt of invoices and a project progress report. Please note that we ask successful applicants to keep a photographic record of their projects as a way of recording progress.
This process is used for most TOE grants including our main fund and biodiversity offsetting. If in any doubt, please get in touch.
This funding stream for biodiversity has a separate process.
Project grants are between £10,000 and £100,000. Stage 1 applications should include outline project proposals, and can be submitted at any time.
Please read the FAQ and call us on 01865 407 003 for more advice.